LL-L "Morphology" 2004.07.14 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 14 17:50:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Morphology

Greetings Lowlanders!

D.M. Pennington wrote:

"The Lancashire dialect, which is also my native dialect, also uses the
Old English for "she", namely "he" which was pronounced with a long "e"
rhyming with modern English "day"."

I don't know what part of Lancashire this usage is from, but I remember my
grandmother's generation still using the third person singular pronoun
_(h)oo_ [with silent _h_, but somehow I always perceived that it was there!]
Although my grandmother and my great aunt lived in Preston I have an idea
that they originated from some country place just outside, but I am fairly
certain that this was true Prestonian usage at one time.

The old form _heo_ for 'she' dropped out of use in most of England in the
12th century; the 1898 edition of the Oxford English Dictionary mentions
that it survived in the south and w. midl. as a literary word till the 15th
c., and is still vernacular from Lancashire to Devon and Sussex, under the
forms hoo, huh (the latter often mistaken for the objective her), uh, u.”

John Duckworth
Preston, UK

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

John (above):

> I don't know what part of Lancashire this usage is from, but I remember
> my grandmother's generation still using the third person singular pronoun
> _(h)oo_ [with silent _h_, but somehow I always perceived that it was
there!]

Might this be due to the absence of a glottal stop ([u:] instead of [?u:])
after pauses?

(This is what happens in certain Hebrew sociolects, by the way, and it
happens to apply in the case of _huw_ > _hu_ הו [hu(:)] -> [u(:)] 'he'.)