LL-L "Morphology" 2004.07.15 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 15 15:23:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: D.M.Pennington <dmpmos at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.07.14 (03) [E]

Dear Sirs:

Sorry!

Slip of the pen!

The Old English for "she" was, indeed, "heo".

I mistakenly wrote previously that "he" (rhyming with Modern English "day")
was the Old English for "she"; I should have written that Old English "he"
gave, after the vowel shift, the Modern English "he".

The Lancashire pronunciation of the modified Old English "heo" that I
referred to is that of the Wigan-Leigh area; this pronunciation sounds like
"her" with a dropped "h" and , as I mentioned previously, sounds to non
Lancastrians as though the speaker is using the third person singular
feminine personal pronoun instead of the standard subject form "she", e.g.
"Her's getten a mard lip!"

I've also heard this dialect usage of the archeic "heo" in the Wolverhampton
area of the West Midlands which leads me to think that the Mercians may have
been the most linguistically conservative of Old English speakers.

The Mercians were, at any rate, extremely conservative in another respect,
namely that they were the last of the Old English to convert to
christianity, and stubbornly fought for years against Christian Northumbrian
incursions.

D.M.Pennington

Moscow