LL-L "Administrativia" 2004.07.15 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 15 16:04:06 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

A number of people have joined us since my last administrative message (July
1), and I would like to welcome them on everyone's behalf.  At the end of
this message you will find a list of their places of residence.  Please bear
in mind that many of our subscribers live in places and countries in which
they are not native.  In fact, with regard to languange, ethnicity and
nationality our group is more diverse than a mere list of places of
residence seems to indicate.

These few weeks our subscription rate has been on the increase, rising above
our usual average number.  In other words, there have been more people
getting on board than getting off.  This comes as a bit of a surprise, given
that in previous years the number of subscribers tended to go down during
the Northern Hemisphere summer.  In part this could be due to the
convenience of requesting vacation status (as mentioned farther below) and
to an increase in computer users generally.

Please, folks, read and understand the rules and guidelines!  It's really
important.

Rules and Guidelines:
Dutch: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regels
English: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules
German: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln-de
Limburgish: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regele
Lowlands Saxon (Low German): http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln
Russian: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules-ru

Even some people who have been with us for a while persistently ignore the
following rules:

(1) Keep subjects separate:
     Only one topic per posting!

(2) Stick to the subject title:
     Do not change the topic name in your responses.
     Just stick with the one we have, even if you think
     it doesn't apply or is silly.  I will change it if I think it
     needs to be.

(3) Edit quotes:
     If you hit the "reply" button and simply write your response before
     or after an unedited, complete quoted LL-L issue, please do not
     complain to me that I have removed the quoted text in the published
     version.  It is proper email behavior to quote only the portions that
     are relevant to your response.

(4) Give credit:
     Let us know who the authors of quoted text portions are.
     If you just hit the "reply" button, it will automatically give
     "Lowlands-L" as the author.  That will not do.  You must be
     more specific, and you owe authors the courtesy of
     crediting them by name.

TEMPORARY ABSENCE
Before you take a trip or for some other reason need to stop LL-L mail
arriving for a given length of time, please write to us
(lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net) to let us know the date you want mail to be
stopped and the date you want mail to be resumed. As some of our members can
attest, this has been working really well, certainly beats the old, crude
method of signing off and on again. Once in a while people find themselves
unsubscribed without notice. Some of them immediately suspect the worst:
that I have "booted them out" for some infraction or other. (I know this for
sure only about those that contact me.) Please do not jump to this
conclusion unless you have received prior reprimands and warnings (which has
occurred very rarely, not at all for well over one year). If you find
yourself disconnected from Lowlands-L, the reason is most likely that the
automated server has unsubscribed your address because of repeated
"bouncing," i.e., because your mail servers keep informing the list server
that you cannot be reached or is filled above quota. Most of the time this
is due to temporary disconnection. Sometimes the reason is that a
subscriber's junk mail filter (or "spam" filter) has not been "told" to
exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why our mailings do not arrive in your
inboxes. So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming, please first check your "spam"
filters and adjust them if necessary, and only contact me about the problem
if all of the above fails. Should you indeed be disconnected, please write
to me or resubmit an application
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=subscription). I'll be more than
happy to bring you swiftly back to the fold.

Again, dear Lowlanders, thanks for your support and cooperation and for all
those interesting contributions past and future!

Nine months to go till our 10th anniversary ...

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

Places of Residence of New Lowlanders since July 1, 2004:

     Australia:
          Queensland:
               Brisbane [1]
     Belgium:
          Antwerp (Antwerpen):
               Antwerp (Antwerpen) [1]
               Antwerpen-Deurne [1]
               Mortsel [1]
          Eastern Flanders (Oost-Vlaanderen):
               Herzele [1]
          Western Flanders (West-Vlaondern):
               Blankenberge [1]
               Izegem [1]
               Tielt [1]
     Brazil:
          São Paulo:
               São Paulo [1]
     Cayman Islands:
          Grand Cayman:
               George Town [1]
     France:
          Morbihan:
               Questembert [1]
     Germany:
          North-Rhine-Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen):
               Mühlheim an der Ruhr [1]
     India:
          Pondicherry:
               Pakkamudian Pet [1]
     Netherlands:
          South Holland (Zuid-Holland):
               Rotterdam [1]
     Romania:
          Bucharest (Bucureşti)
               Bucharest (Bucureşti) [1]
     South Africa:
          Gauteng:
               Pretoria [1]
          Western Cape Province:
               Kaapstad/Cape Town [1]
     United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland:
          England:
               Cumbria:
                    Penrith [1]
          Scotland: