LL-L "Literature" 2004.07.15 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 15 18:30:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mathieu van Woerkom <mathieu at brabants.org>
Subject: Literature

Ron wrote:

> Mathieu also gave me some spelling pointers for my Limburgish
> transliteration of the Mühlheim Martinmas song.  Below is my revision on
> that basis.
>
> I wonder if I should use "ae" instead of "è" ...

I think you should! Below is my transcription of the Martinmas song, into
Limburgisch spelling system. I made just a few changes to your version.

By the way, is there also a German (or Dutch) translation available? That
way, I might be able to make a Limburgish version of this song, so show the
similarities between Lim. and the dialect of Mühlheim even more.

Regards,
Mathieu

PS: I have heard before that the dialects of the neighboring parts of
Germany have a lot in common with Limburgish. This counts especially for the
area of Selfkant, and the areas just over the border ("euver de päöl") near
the city of Venlo (Nettetal etc.). However, as far as I know, not much
dialect is spoken in those areas anymore.

======

SINTER MAETES VEUGELSJE

Sinter Maetes veugelsje
heet soe'n raod kapeugelsje.