LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 19 16:11:19 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JUL.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.18 (03) [E]

Beste Luc Hellinckx

Subject: Etymology

> Films like "Shrek" and "Lord of the Rings" seem to have one important
> character in common, and that's the revival of "Orcus". Linguistically at
> least. "Orcus" is the Roman God of death and the underworld, and has come
> us in many shapes and forms, during the last two thousand years:

> "ogre" (E, 18th century) < "ogre" (French, early 14th century < *orc) ~
> "orco" (Italian, bogeyman) ~ "ör(re)k" (B) (harsh and callous person,
> tyrant, 16th century, but still in use today) ~ "orke" (Middle High
German)
> ~ "(n)org" (elfish creature in many (South?) German(ic) folk tales, the
> initial _n_ can result from the final n of the article preceding it) ~
"Orc"
> (Tolkien)

Well, in Afrikaans schoolboy slang, to call someone an 'urk' - [@rk] is to
denounce him as a graceless monstrosity. I have never found that word in a
dictionary, but my mother a & grandmother knew it, though they denied ever
using it! So use goes back to before 'The Hobbit' & 'The Lord of the Rings'.

That is not the only insinuation of S. African 'schoolboy language' into
Tolkien's books. Here is another, from the Hobbit, where Bilbo teases the
spiders in Mirkwood to a frenzy by singing a song calling them 'attercop',
Afrikaans 'etterkop' - (pus-head) . This word was identified to his
correspondants by Tolkien as from Old English 'Aetercop' - (poison head);
suitable for an adder or a spider, but sure'nuff in his childhood in
Bloemfontein, the use of that word would have reduced the entire school
playground to a shocked & echoing silence.

> There's another word that has puzzled me lately, "camelot" being the case.
> In Brabantish, "kammelot" is used for anything which is low-quality and
> inferior, "ersatz" we also say (< German occupation during WW2). "Camelot"
> used to be an expensive fabric from the Middle East however (made of camel
> hair...hence the name), but quite soon cheap imitation stuff started
> circulating and so it got a bad name. Now I wonder if there could be any
> relationship with king Arthur's Camelot...and if so, how???

Could the Arthurian 'Camelot' have something to with the Romano-British
'Camelodinum'?

Groete,
Mark

----------

From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>

Hello Luc,

You wrote "the initial _n_ can result from the final n of the article
preceding it". You seem to assume that Dutch words 'nurk, nurks', East
Brabant 'nörk' "grumbler, grumpy and unfriendly person" were derived from
the adjective 'ork', Kiliaan 'orck' next to 'norck', Middle Dutch 'norke'
"surly, grumpy". This view is not supported by Franck/Van Wijk's
Etymologisch Woordenboek, which states "Kil. norck  enz. is bezwaarlijk een
jongere, naast Kil. orck, als znw. Nog zuidndl. dial. [..], opgekomen vorm."
To me it is unclear which form was original and which secondary.

Best regards,

Roger Hondshoven