LL-L "Literature" 2004.07.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 19 22:20:55 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Folks,

I have been wondering about the phrase "... across the Rhine" in a couple of
Martinmas song versions we have been discussing:

Lowlands Franconian of Mölm/Mühlheim on Ruhr, Germany:

>    Ssinter Määtes Vöögelsche
>    heet ssu'n roat Kapöögelsche,
>    cheflooge, chestoowe
>    wiet, wiet ööwer dä Rhien,
>    woo die fette Ferkes ssien.

>    St. Martin's birdies --
>    (Had) Wore such little red hoods --
>    Have flown, have scattered
>    Far, far across the Rhine,
>    Where the fat pigs are.

Lowlands Saxon of Emden (Drenthe, Netherlands)

>   Kip, kap keugel,
>   Sunder-Martens veugel
>   Woel so wiët flegen
>   Al euver den Rün.
>   Hei je Sunder-Martens veugel niet sien?

   Kipp, kapp, keugel (spheres, balls?),
   St. Martin's birds
   Were going to flow so far away
   All over the Rhine.
   Haven't you seen St. Martin's birds?

Is this only a device to indicate something like "far away" or is it a
reference to historical events, as has been claimed to be the case with
other parts of these songs.

I ought to be safe to assume that this song inventory is an areal one, the
exact origin being unknown.  As far as I can tell, variants of the song are
found on both sides of the Rhine.  So we need to ask "across the Rhine in
which direction, east or west?"

Might this refer to medieval (mostly 12-13th century) migration of Saxons,
Franks and various other Germanic people to predominantly Slavonian-speaking
areas of the east, then touted as the land of milk and honey, ripe for the
picking (as were the Slavs, who were "pagans" and therefore considered fair
game)?

And do the red hoods refer to anything other than birds' crests?

Does anyone have an inkling about any reference to historical events here?
Franz Firla's annotations to the Mölm/Mühlheim version do seem to point to
petrified historical references.

Just wondering ...