LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.19 (07) [A/E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 20 05:23:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JUL.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.19 (05) [E]

This from http://www.etymonline.com/

rare (adj.2) - "undercooked," 1655, variant of M.E. rere, from O.E. hrer
"lightly cooked," probably related to hreran "to stir, move." Originally
of eggs, not recorded in reference to meat until 1784, and according to
O.E.D., in this sense "formerly often regarded as an Americanism,
although it was current in many English dialects ...."

uproar - 1526, used as a loan-translation of Ger. Aufruhr or Du. oproer
in Ger. and Du. Bibles (cf. Acts xxi:38), "outbreak of disorder, revolt,
commotion," from Ger. auf "up" + ruhr "a stirring, motion." Meaning
"noisy shouting" is first recorded 1544, probably by mistaken
association with roar. First record of uproarious is from 1819.

David Barrow