LL-L "Literature" 2004.07.20 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 20 18:09:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JUL.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at citizensbank.com>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2004.07.20 (04) [E/LS]

Hello all,

I've also heard a version of Dei Groffsmidt, can't recall who sung it, but
it's also about Fritz and his extracurricular activities at university.

In the version I've heard, it's Kiel (Dat is een Brief van de Kieler Post,
dey twee un twinning Penning kost, etc. - sorry for the spelling,I'm going
by memory).

But he at first addresses his father in very High German, and then at the
end is begging his father to let him stay at the university, but in perfect
Lowlands rather than formal High German!

The only other example I can think of is also a Welsh folk song, but only
parts of it switch languages. The verses are sung in Welsh, but the
chorus/refrain goes:

"Happy are we now all my boys, happy are we now all;
Gobeithio gawn ni etto gordd yng nglwad yn Cymru'n oll" (I think something
like, "here's hoping we'll all meet in old Wales")

Again, sorry for the Welsh spelling; I'm going by memory!

Only other ones I've heard are Romany, but because I'm not all that familiar
with the languages used (Romany and Hungarian), I'm not entirely sure there
were two languages used in the same songs.

Mike S
Manchester, NH - USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Literature

Thanks, Mike.

I think you are talking about the Holstein dialect version Hannes Wader
performs.  In it the son adds that two friends of his had quarreled and made
him the referee for their fight (assumedly one of those old-fashioned
university student duels).  I have a feeling that this is a later,
"jazzed-up" version, but I may be wrong there.  I will try to find the words
of that version.

Thanks again!