LL-L "Literature" 2004.07.21 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 21 22:42:36 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JUL.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2004.07.20 (08) [E]

Mike wrote about the Hannes Wader album:

> harmonica, spoons and auto-harp. With some of the tunes and the
instruments
> used, along with the style of playing, you can see where some of American
> "Country & Western" got its roots!

I'm very familiar with this album (it's been one of my favourites for 25
years, and I've even sung most of the songs at jam sessions in Oregon and
elsewhere). Actually, some of them are poems by Klaus Groth, set to Scottish
and Irish folk tunes. For example, "De Moel" uses the tune of "Kelly, the
boy from Killarne" and "Hartleed" is sung to the tune of "The Four Marys"
("Last night, there were four Marys, this night there's only three: there
was Mary Beaton, and Mary Seaton, and Mary Carmicheal, and me...").

As soon as I find the time, I can copy the text for "De Groffschmitt" from
the album cover, but it may take me a few days - I'm totally swamped with
work at the moment. Also, any other song from the album that you might like.
By the way, when the bombs started falling on Baghdad, I posted the text of
another song from the album - "De jonge Wetfru" (The young widow), as some
of you might remember. It's one of those songs that always give me the
shivers.

My medieval music group sometimes gets together for weekend-long jam
sessions with a bunch of traditional Irish musicians from Dublin. Those
guys, mostly in their fifties and sixties, really liked the traditional "Dat
du min Leefsten büst". They told me that "that's what they had always
imagined a German song must sound like".

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Literature

Thanks, Gabriele.

Folks, those of you who are interested can find some of Klaus Groth's songs
with translation and sound files at my Groth site:
http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/

This includes the following songs Gabriele mentioned above:

De Moel [The Mill] (http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/moel.htm)
    with a snippet of Wader's rendition

De junge Wetfru [The Young Widow]
(http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/wetfru.htm)
    with a Midi file of the traditional tune and a snippet of Wader's
rendition

Hartleed [Sorrow] (http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/hartleed.htm)
    with a Midi file of the traditional tune and a snippet of Wader's
rendition

I've long wanted to revamp and expand this site.  This includes adding
transliterations in ANS script.  Suggestions would be welcome.

The (somewhat naughty) love song _Dat du min Leevsten büst_ [That You're my
Sweetheart Dear]  is not a work of Klaus Groth's.

You can find sound snippets of it here:
http://www.windmoel.de/mp3/dat_du_min.mp3
http://www.grainger.de/music/cd/mp3/mp3xx00002_04.mp3
Midi: http://www.grainger.de/music/platt.html

There are numerous versions of the words of this song.  Most of them seem
linguistically somewhat suspect (i.e., have German interference), such as
_kumm!_ instead of _kaam!_ 'come!', _kammer_ instead of _kamer_ 'chamber',
and _wee(t)st_ '(thou) knowest' rhyming with _hee(t)st_ '(thou) art named'
which should be _hey(t)st_.

   DAT DU MIEN LEEVSTEN BÜST

   Dat du mien Leevsten büst, dat du woll weeßt.
   Kumm bi de Nacht, kumm bi de Nacht! Segg wo du heeßt!

   Kumm du um Mitternacht! Kumm du Klock een!
   Vader slöppt, Moder slöppt, ick slap alleen.

   Klopp an de Kammerdör! Fat an de Klink!
   Vader slöppt, Moder meent, dat deit de Wind.

Two additional (later?) verses:

   Kummt denn de Morgenstund', kreiht de ol Hahn,
   Leevsten mien, Leevsten mien, denn mößt du gahn.

   Sachen den Gang henlank, lies mit de Klink,
   Vader slöppt, Moder meent, dat deit de Wind.

***

ANS transliteration:

   DAT DU MYN LEYVSTEN BÜST

   Dat du myn leyvsten büst, dat du wol weest.
   Kum by dey nacht, kum by dey nacht! Seg, wou du heest!

   Kum du um middernacht! Kum du klok eyn!
   Vader slöpt, Mouder slöpt, ik slaap alleyn.

   Klop an dey kammerdöör! Vaat an dey klink!
   Vader slöpt, Mouder meynt, dat dayt dey wind.

Two additional (later?) verses:

   Kumt den dey morgenstund, krayt dey old haan.
   Leyvsten myn, leyvsten myn, den müst du gaan.

   Sachen den gang henlang, lys' mit dey klink,
   Vader slöpt, Mouder meynt, dat dayt dey wind.

***

Phonetic (simplified SAMPA http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm):

   dat du mi:n 'le.Ifstn bYst dat du vO.l we:st
   kU.m bi deI naxt kU.m bi deI naxt zEC vo.U du he:st

   kU.m du U.m 'mId3`naxt kU.m du klOk e.In
   'fQ:d3` sl9pt mo.Uder sl9pt Ik slQ:p a'le.In

   klOp a.n deI 'kamerd9:3` fQ:t a.n deI klI.Nk
   'fQ:d3` sl9pt mo.Uder me.Int dat da.It deI vI.nt

Two additional (later?) verses:

   kU.mt dE.n deI 'mo3`gNstU.nt kra.It deI o.l hQ:n
   'le.Ifstn mi:n le.Ifstn mi:n dE.n mYst du gQ:n

   'zaxN dEn ga.NK he.nla.Nk li:.z mIt deI klI.Nk
   'fQ:d3` sl9pt mo.Uder me.Int dat da.It deI vI.nt

***

My translation:

   THAT YOU'RE MY SWEETHEART DEAR

   That you're my sweetheart dear you surely do know.
   Come see me tonight! Whisper your name gently as you go!

   Come around midnight, at the day's first bell tone!
   Father will sleep. Mother will sleep. I'll sleep alone.

   Knock on my chamber door! Open with care!
   Father will sleep. Mother will think it's just the air.

Two additional (later?) verses:

   But when the morning brings the rooster's first crow,
   Sweetheart dear, sweetheart, that's when you must go.

   Gently sneak down the hall! Close up with care!
   Father will sleep. Mother will think it's just the air.

I sing it like this:

   DAT DU MYN LEYVSTE(N) BÜST

   Dat du myn leyvste(n) büst, dat du wol weetst.
   Kaam by dey nacht, kaam by dey nacht! Seg, wou du heetst!

   Kaam du üm middernacht! Kaam du klok eyn!
   Vadder slöpt, Mouder slöpt, ik slaap alleyn.

   Klop an dey kamerdöör! Vaat an dey klink!
   Vadder slöpt, Mouder meynt, dat dayt dey wind.

Two additional (later?) verses:

   Kümt den dey morgenstünd, krayt denn dey haan,
   Leyvste(n) myn, leyvste(n) myn, den mutst du gaan.

   Sachtens den gang hinlang, lys' mit dey klink,
   Vadder slöpt, Mouder meynt, dat dayt dey wind.

Phonetic (simplified SAMPA http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm):

   dat du mi:n 'le.Ifstn bYst dat du vO.l we:st
   kQ:m bi deI naxt kQ:m bi deI naxt zEC vo.U du he:st

   kQ:m du Y.m 'mId3`naxt kQ:m du klOk e.In
   'fad3` sl9pt mo.Uder sl9pt Ik slQ:p a'le.In

   klOp a.n deI 'kQ:merd9:3` fQ:t a.n deI klI.Nk
   'fad3` sl9pt mo.Uder me.Int dat da.It deI vI.nt

Two additional (later?) verses:

   kY.mt dE.n deI 'mo3`gNstY.nt kra.It dE.N deI hQ:n