LL-L "Language use" 2004.07.23 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 23 14:36:20 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: IDIOMATICA Lowland Scots Lives OK

I recently visited my home town of Edinburgh Scotland for the first time in
33 years and was delighted to find that the local version of Lowland Scots
had made quite a come back. Even 'posh' folks speak it now and a few times
even I had to listen very carefully to determine if it was Scots or
something else being spoken.
Great to see that all the efforts made by English and would be Upper Class
Scots to suppress our native language have come to naught in the end. I
found it was dead easy to latch back into the language stream although my
wife thought it a huge joke that I spoke Scots with an Aussie accent I
didn't even know I had.
A great t-shirt line is the series depicting Lowland Scots words with full
Dictionary explantion. We have His and Hers 'CRABBIT' t-shirts, has to be
one of the world's most descriptive words. Lots of others on offer including
'Steamin' '. Good source is the shop in The Museum of Scotland.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."