LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.23 (07) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 23 21:22:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Hello all Lowlanders,

In East-Brabant (Getelands) we have a  (perhaps moribund) word: 'strampen'
(practically exclusively used in the plural), meaning "leather leg-guard,
used by army officers (in previous times) and by hunters". Does anyone else
know this word? And does anyone have a clue as to the origin of this word.
Is it related to 'stram' ("stiff, rigid")?

Kind regards,

Roger Hondshoven