LL-L "Levity" 2004.07.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 24 15:10:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: sam s claire <gamlhs at juno.com>
Subject: LL-L "Levity" 2004.07.23 (09) [E]

Ron: Still do not think language (structure) is all that logical.  Our
thoughts we impart are logical (hopefully), whereas the systems we use to
do so are not so regular and rational, etc.  How did we come up with
strong and weak verbs?    Language, however, is whatever works.  Sam

----------

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Levity" 2004.07.23 (12) [E]

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Language itself is pretty darn logical and regular.  It tend
>> to be our (usually set-in-the-way) methods of rendering language
> graphically
>> that leave much to be desired in the logics and regularity departments.

That's why I advocate Scots Gaelic being written in Cyrillic where the
actual sounds could be pronounced without trauma. Naturally nobody accepts
this sensible move even though I'd learn the language if I knew how the
words were pronounced. :-)
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."