LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.24 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 24 15:29:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Etymology

Good Morning Lowlanders!

Roger Hondshoven said:

"In East-Brabant (Getelands) we have a  (perhaps moribund) word:
'strampen' (practically exclusively used in the plural), meaning "leather
leg-guard,used by army officers (in previous times) and by hunters". Does
anyone else know this word? And does anyone have a clue as to the origin of
this word.Is it related to 'stram' ("stiff, rigid")?"

Is it not likely that this word _strampen_ is a form of the (High) German
word _Strümpfe_, plural of _Strumpf_, the modern meaning of which is
'stocking'. The Low Saxon form is, I believe (correct me here, Ron)
_strump_. The German word has undergone a complicated development, and it
seems that it originally meant a garment covering the entire trunk (STRUMPF)
of the body. Originally the word seems to have been almost identical to
_Stumpf_ (English _stump_). This is an interesting semantic connection,
since the English word _stocking_ must be from _stock_.

There could also perhaps be a connection with Low German _strampen_, in the
sense of 'stamping on the ground' : German _strampfen_, alongside
_stampfen_.

John Duckworth
Preston, UK

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>

Beste liëglanners,

Here in my neck of the woods, we still say "saroop" and not "siroop" or
"stroop". So I looked up what the origin of the word is, and that happens to
be an Arabic word for "drink", namely "šarāb". Spanish has "jarope, xarope"
and so it didn't surprise me at all that the Spanish Netherlands inherited
this word directly from their former occupants, rather than by means of
French or Latin. I can imagine that the initial syllable got stressed less
and less over time, resulting in "seroop", "serope" (Western Flemish). By
the way, this also happened in another Romance loan word like "begozje" (B)
("nasty sod" (E)), which was derived from French "bagage". Finally it wore
down to "s-roop", and that's when some people (the North even had "language
archtitects" in the past!) will have added a _t_ in order to make it more
conform to all the other Dutch words starting with _str_.

Which easily brings me to "strampen", that (Eastern) Brabantish word for
gaiters ("getten" (B) < French "guêtre", perhaps cognate with "wrist" (E)).
They come in more than one flavor Roger, sometimes "strampen", "strompen",
"strumpen" (ablaut)...and yes, they are the same as German "Strümpfe".
"Strumpf" used to be a word for a "tree-stump", but came into use for
clothing, when "Hosen" got split in half in the 16th century. "Hosen" was
the original word for pants covering everything from waist to ankle, but
when the part below the knee got cut off, the upper part retained the old
word, and the lower part was considered like residue, like a stump.

Besides, Roger, J. Van Keymeulen does write in the etymological chapter of
"Spin":

"...Spinnekop kan in een aantal Brabantse dialecten nog altijd zowel het
spinnenweb als de spin zelf benoemen (in Noord-Brabant en in westelijk
Vlaams-Brabant)..." (J. Van Keymeylen)

But he does indeed not analyze the Getelands-situation any further. Let's
keep in mind that dialects in Western Belgium (former County of Flanders)
have always been studied at the university of Ghent (Van Keymeulen among
others), whereas the Eastern part (former Duchy of Brabant) was often taken
care of by the university of Nijmegen.

Wikipedia links ete-petete with "c'était peut-être": Van Dale considers
"hittepetit" a reduplication of French "petite" (like "hottemetoot") ...and
I had to think of "Reet-Petite, the finest girl..." *s*. Seems that a lot of
affection is involved here.

When I read what Prof. Weijnen wrote about "oat", the word still being alive
in many parts of coastal Belgium and the Netherlands (as "oot", "aat",
"aot"), I was quite amazed, because he stated: "If the Dutch word is of
British descent, it could be a Pictish relict". Wow, I thought at first. But
then I discovered that: "They (The Picts) are believed to have arrived in
Scotland from the Continent about 1000 bc and in Ireland from Scotland about
ad200."
So the Picts were apparently once living on the continent. Anybody have any
idea why they left? Celtic expansion (radiating from northeastern France)???
I doubt it, because "aot" for example is in use in the northeastern part of
the Netherlands, and I don't think there has ever been any Celtic influence
over there...or the Continental Picts must have have been a very close-knit
society  that decided to leave collectively because their southern neighbors
were pushed to the edge (litterally). Bit like what happened to the
Continental Celts a thousand years later (under Roman pressure).

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Liza du Plooy <lizaduplooy at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.22 (07) [E]

Goeienaand almal.

Verskoon my as een van die ander afrikaans-sprekendes al klaar hierdie vraag
beantwoord het.

Troy wrote:
Standard Dutch has "spin" for "spider", but "spinnekop" is fairly widely
used I believe, at least in the north of Flanders (the Kempen). Is it used
elsewhere in Flanders and/or the Netherlands?

A spider is also called "spinnekop" in Afrikaans, and a spiderweb a
"spinnerak". That's all I will say on the subject since spiders give me the
creeps.

Beste groete
Liza du Plooy

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.23 (13) [E]

> Received wisdom has it that the "Strap" in "Blackstrap Molasses" derives
> from Dutch "stroop".

My Dutch ex-husband once got homesick (living in Bavaria) and tried to make
his own stroopwafels. He didn't have the right kind of sirup, so instead he
used a can of black molasses that some American friends had left behind with
us.

It was horrbible - bitter and nasty - we had to throw it all away. So be
warned, everybody!

By the way, it's not only that it's spelled "siroop" and pronounced
"stroop" - it's also officially spelled "-wafelen" and spoken "-wafels"!
Similarly, the written plural for potatoes in Dutch is "aardappelen", while
one says "aardappels". I can't think of any other language where the written
plural is disregarded and replaced by a different form in the spoken
language.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" stroopwafels recepy2004.07.23 (07) [D/E]

>>From wim verdoold:  wkv at home.nl

Hi,

Here is the recipe for stroopwafels, I found it on a web page.

Stroopwafels:

 Ingredients

waffles (12 pieces): Ingredients syrup:
 - 300g caster sugar
- 450g butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 sp milk
- 600g flour
- cinnamon
- salt  - 600g cane-sugar syrup
- 300g butter

 Preparation
Mix the sugar with the eggs, milk, flower, cinnamon, salt and the butter
sliced in pieces. Make 12 small balls.
Preheat the waffle iron. Squeeze a paste ball in the iron. Bake the
waffle in about 30 seconds.
Cut the waffle in two thin waffles and spread the waffle with the mix of
syrup and butter.
Bon appetite!

 Wim.

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>

In Westflemish we know the word "netebuck"describing a vivid mostly small or
female person, who is allways alert en jealous.
I presume the element "nete" might be related to the "hitte".
"Nete"however is nwon as the egg of a bug.
"Buck" is allmost certainly the male goat (sometimes also denoted as a
sexual very active person in general.....)

Denis Dujardin
Westflanders