LL-L "Identity" 2004.07.26 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 26 12:48:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUL.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

Van: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Datum: Zo, 25 juli, 2004 3:53 pm

Mark Dreyer asks

> (research student in archaeology, asking questions about how people
> identified themselves as 'Dutch' outside of the Low Countries in the
> 1600s and 1700s)

Is this (above) a serious statement? If so, you are about to be so
snowed under!

and In message <00ef01c46ffc$fcd49b10$1c0d5f80 at dental.washington.edu>,
Lowlands-L <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net> writes
>From: HALLS Haeng-Cho <zzhhalls at student.uq.edu.au>
>Subject:
says

>Your research subject caught my eye, Pat. I would be most interested to
> know how that  is faring :)

Thank you both for asking.  Yes, I'm serious.  I am working on the use
and meaning of wall anchors (muurankeren), and comparing this building
technique to other ways people identified themselves, or others as being
Dutch.  I'm particularly interested in the use of material culture in
such identification.

I am fairly well on with identifying the occurances of short wall
anchors around the world (and have lots of animated maps, showing how
different forms spread, such as the S-shaped ones which predominate more
in Wallonie and France, and then go across to Canada).  I am about to
start sorting out the comparative material, which includes distinctive
ceramic assemblages, marbles, and distinctive tools.  I'm working both
from archaeologically excavated material and from inventories.

I'm particularly lacking contacts/information in Brazil, Taiwan, Africa
outside South Africa, and the Middle East.

With best wishes,

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)