LL-L "Language structure" 2004.07.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 26 12:52:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

Onderwerp: Language structure
Van: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>

>I've often thought it odd that we say things like "That will teach you
> to be late" when we mean "That will teach you not to be late."
>
>I've also noted that a lot of people say "I could care less" (usually
> with stress on "care") when they mean "I couldn't care less".  Even
> though everyone knows that it means that the person doesn't care much
> at all, it still irks me to hear it the "wrong" way.
>
>Then there's "head over heels" (isn't your head normally over your
> heels?).
>
>Kevin Caldwell (kcaldwell31 at comcast.net)

How about all those 'I don't think' expressions

'I don't think she knows'  rather than 'I think she doesn't know'

we negate the 'thinking' which we are quite obviously doing instead of
the 'knowing'

David Barrow