LL-L "Identity" 2004.07.26 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 27 01:39:50 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUL.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Oral tradition" 2004.07.22 (01) [E]

Dear Pat,

Subject: Oral tradition

Please keep on writing!

By the way, your postscript below has had only one other response so far, so
let me jump in again.

Roundabout before Tacitus the word 'Diet' applied variously to the
Community, the Law of the Community, or the Council in Law of the Community,
& occasionally, the Leader of the Community. We still get the word 'Diet' in
German: As in; 'The Diet of Worms.' As a kid I loved that. The English -
now, the English: They applied the word 'Dutch' to all related peoples of
Germanic origin, which was essentially true, & most useful to the English as
they were mostly the same & moreover, outsiders. However,  this was not how
they 'identified' themselves. The Fleming & the Afrikaner would at need
'identify themselves' as 'Diets' & the German as 'Deutsch', but really, the
more local appellations were more useful in their own communities, and until
for example Bismarck, more favoured; such as Saxon, Nederlander, Afrikaner,
Lexebergesch, Fries, etc.

> (research student in archaeology, asking questions about how people
> identified themselves as 'Dutch' outside of the Low Countries in the
> 1600s and 1700s)

Yrs,
Mark