LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 28 15:03:55 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Idiomatica

Which takes me (not so elegantly) over to the widely used versatile
Australian expression "struth" (pronounced like "truth" with an "s" in
front, the "s", however, being pronounced as something between "s" and "sh"
by many (at least in Western Australia)).  I have never been able to
understand the full extent of its use, though I have a general idea and used
the expression myself while living in Australia.  (I won't even as much as
*try* using it here in the States, for that would *really* come across as
"alien.")

Some say this expression started off as "(this/it is) God's truth," namely
as a type of oath emphasizing the veracity of one's story.  (Alternatively,
you can say "Fair dinkum," but I feel this expression has begun to fade
away, sounds just too "Ocker" to many.)  You can still say "Struth!" after
telling an incredible-sounding story or if you read doubt or disbelief in
your audience's faces.  The other major use I have observed is emphasizing a
reprimand, for instance, "Stop that, Pete! Struth!", or just "Struth,
Pete!", something like "Really ...!" or "You're impossible!"  You can also
use "Struth!" in the sense of "(Oh,) Please!" or "Give me a break!" to
express disagreement.  I think you can furthermore use "Struth ..." to
placate someone's burst of anger, also in the sense of "Give me a break!" or
"Come one now!"  I'm sure there's more of this, and our friends in and from
Australia can elaborate.

Hello Ron,
I have just returned from Tasmania so am a little late reading and replying
to your mail. I have often heard similar explanations for the origin and
meaning of struth (middle english  corruption of "it is truth?"). The
Collins on line dictionary states it is a 19 century alterationI of "God's
truth". Websters online dictionary (Rosetta edition) does not show any info
on struth except to say it is Scottish for a stream; Scottish for ostrich;
Albanian for camel bird (ostrich).

I do not really think this is the correct spelling or meaning of the word as
used in Australia. I have always known and read the word as strewth. I have
not heard it used as a verification but only as an exclamation or
interjection expressing surprise, dismay, amazement. Alternatives are
"crikey", "goodness gracious me", "wow", "gee whiz", "stone the crows". The
word is predominantly used by older Australians but keeps being picked up by
the kids and shows no sign of disappearing yet. Ron your usage "You can
still say "Struth!" after telling an incredible-sounding story or if you
read doubt or disbelief in your audience's faces" is not really used this
way although you could just say It's the truth (I'm not kidding you). I
totally agree with the other usage examples you have shown us. I have a
story in our local newspaper dated July 27th (coincidence??) and I will scan
it as a jpeg file and email it to you seperately.
Strewth!!! that was a long winded reply.
Tot siens
Peter S
snepvangers at optushome.com.au

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Pete!

Thanks for the clarification and the private communication.

Strewth!  This topic sure got your juices flowing, didn't it?

Hope you had a good time in Tasmania and didn't freeze too much down there.
Great to have you back!

Ta-ta!