LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.28 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 28 23:52:42 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.28 (03) [E]

Hello Ron,

In Brabant the word  " hof " is used in the meaning of garden. The noun is
masculine, as opposed to "hof" in general Dutch, which is neuter and has the
meaning of 'royal court'. In Middle Dutch the word 'hof' was used as
masculine and neuter in both meanings. The original meaning was probably
"enclosed space" (just like "tuin") and later on some kind of "dwelling"
inhabited by a farmer - at one end of the social ladder - or by a noble lord
at the other end. The word was known in all other old Germanic language
varieties in similar meanings.

Kind regards,

Roger Hondshoven

----------

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>

In Westflemish a "tuun" is a (wooden) fence. "Een Hof" is a garden.
Another strange specific westflemish word is "lochting" denoting more
specifically a vegetable garden.
We only speak about "Bogaard"( we might remember the actor Dirk Bogarde, who
was of Westflemish origin, whose real name was Vandenbogaerde) for
"Boom-gaard" .
Meaning a sort of fenced  garden (with hedges) with only trees (bomen), in
fact referring to an orchard. By the way, what might be the etymology of
"orchard"?

Denis Dujardin
West-Flanders

----------

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.28 (08) [D/E]

Indeed, the root of Garden and Garder in French is the same. It is a piece
of land, that has been enclosed from the rest of the landscape, with as a
consequence, that it has to be guarded against the rest of the environment.
It is intersting to see the connotation which lies behind. Here is a
connotation of protection, whereas in Russian f.e. it is translated by
"Sad" - the stem being related to the neutral verb of sedith. To settle, to
sit.

In Danish the Garden is a "have". In Dutch we have the expression " ze
vetrokken met have en goed" , meaning "they left for an unknown destination,
taking with them everything which was valuable for them. The word have as
such is not used anymore. Only in this expression.

Denis Dujardin
West-Flanders

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, guys!

Aren't we the busy little etymology bees today?  ;-)

One of our very own favorite West Flemings, Denis Dujardin (perhaps a
Gallicization of *van den Gaerde by any chance?), wrote:

> In Danish the Garden is a "have". In Dutch we have the expression " ze
vetrokken
> met have en goed" , meaning "they left for an unknown destination, taking
with them
> everything which was valuable for them. The word have as such is not used
anymore.
> Only in this expression.

I wonder if that has a different origin, Denis.  (Besides, this Danish _-v-_
is derived from _-g-_, thus relationship with Dutch/Afrikaans/Saxon _haag_
and English _haw_.)  This Dutch _have_ -- probably quite archaic, if not a
specialized, nativized loan from German _Hab(e)_ -- may have something to do
with 'to have', Dutch _hebben_.  The same saying exists in German _(sie
verzogen) mit Hab und Gut_ 'They moved (on) with all that they owned'.
_Habe_ (related to _haben_ 'to have') is still a used noun meaning
"belongings" or "(entire) property."  Old Saxon has _hava_ and Middle Saxon
_have_ in the same sense.  I'm not aware of the use of expected Modern Saxon
*_have_ ~ _haav'_ though.

German _Gut_ (related to _gut_ 'good') here means 'estate', pretty much the
equivalent of English "estate" in all contexts.  Old Saxon has _gōd_, Middle
Saxon _gôd_ and Modern Saxon _goud_ (<God>, <Good>) with the same meaning.

> In Westflemish a "tuun" is a (wooden) fence.

Interesting!  Just like Lowlands Saxon (Low German) _tuun_!