LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 29 15:22:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Hugo Zweep <hugo.zweep at valuersillawarra.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.28 (12) [D/E]

Peter and Ron
After all that, all I can say is "struth" or even "strewth" since the
spelling, from my observation, seems to be optional.

You will notice that I use the word "struth" as an exclamation of surprise
which is the only way I have ever heard or used it.

Regards
Hugo Zweep

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Yeah, Hugo, I think "Strewth!" is predominantly, if not only, used as an
expression of surprise these days.

Another thing, folks:

I'm wondering about place names occurring in idiomatic expressions.  Here is
an example from Lowlands Saxon (Low German): _na Holland (gaan)_ (<na
Holland (gahn)> "to go to Holland") or _na Rötterdam (gaan)_ (<na Rötterdam
(gahn)> "to go to Rotterdam") meaning 'to die'; e.g., _dey sünd al lang na
Holland/Rötterdam_ 'they have been dead for a long time'.

I am not sure if it is just a replacement expression for 'to die', thus
avoiding the dreaded word, or if it is considered somewhat irreverant by
some.  It does not actually sound vulgar to me the way "to kick the bucket"
or "to bite the dust" would sound to me.  It just seems like one of those
"colorful," fanciful expressions.

My theory is that in the limited thinking of the olden days "Holland,"
especially the coastal regions of the Netherlands, seemed like really
far-away places, far-away yet reachable.  Hollanders had settled in the
Saxon-speaking Eastern Netherlands and Northern Germany (as far as to the
Baltic states then), and they were seen as people from far away.  There was
active trading and communication between the regions, as well as migration
back and forth (and the Jewish communities of the regions routinely
intermarried, later to start communities in Scandinavia as well).  So even
less educated people knew of "Holland."

I also wonder if the said expression started off as meaning 'to be gone',
'to have disappeared' (i.e., someone or something that goes far away is
assumed to be never seen again, as all emigrants were at the time and as
they still are to many traditionally-geared European minds).

Does any of you have any new spin on this?  Perhaps you can think of related
expressions or of other types of expressions in which place names are used
(in which case I would be most interested in Lowlands place names, since I
always love to find out about older connections within the Lowlands).

Thanks and regards,