LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.29 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 29 20:21:51 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.29 (03) [E]

Ron wrote:
> Does any of you have any new spin on this?  Perhaps you can think of
related
> expressions or of other types of expressions in which place names are used
> (in which case I would be most interested in Lowlands place names, since I
> always love to find out about older connections within the Lowlands).

Well, there are many such expressions in German, and they're very probably
the same in the local version of Lower Saxon.

Most prominently, in Southern Lower Saxony, a person whose dead or a thing
that is lost or broken is "über'n Deister" or, in Platt, "över'n Deister".
The "Deister" is a low mountain range just south of Hannover, and east of
the Weser river.

Then, of course, there's the universal "über'n Jordan", meaning dead.

Then there's "ab nach Kassel" (a largish town in Northern Hesse), meaning
"get thee off to Kassel", or: "get lost!".

Then there's "ab nach Rostock" (a suburb of Göttingen) and "ab nach
Wunstorf" (north of Hannover), and probably several more; those place names
indicate where the nearest psychiatric clinic is, in the sense of "you're
crazy - go get yourself checked in!".

Gabriele Kahn