LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.29 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 29 20:25:57 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Frédéric Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.29 (02) [A/D/E]

Denis wrote :
>Does anybody allready have a reference about "lochting", which is more
>widespread then Westflemish?
>
>Denis Dujardin

Hi
I'm sorry to participate so few but I'm very busy before holidays.
In the case of the world garden in french west flemish, my father says (I
think) "een hove", but, and it will interest you Denis, my mother only
says "een lofting". In this case, the switch of "f" to "ch" between vowel
and dental consonnant(typical of flemish and Dutch) did not happen in my
dialect. As you, I would be very curious to know the etymology of this word.

Frédéric Baert