LL-L "Mythology" 2004.07.29 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 29 20:52:28 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.29 (05) [E]

Mark Dreyer wrote:
> I remember reading somewhere the old tale that some families that fished
the
> North Sea had another burden, & a fisherman might be summoned at night to
> ferry a passenger, or more, sometimes many more than his boat should
> support, to some shore across the water. & he would beach on a strand that
> was not there in daylight, his passengers disembark, & leave him to return
> home, in far less time than would be the case if he had crossed over to
> Norfolk, for example.

Actually, basically the same story exists about the ferryman who was
summoned at night to take the "little folk" away from the island of Rügen in
the Baltic Sea. Can't quite remember why that exodus took place; maybe it
was the coming of Christianity (although I doubt it).

Gabriele Kahn