LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.30 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 30 17:21:20 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JUL.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.30 (01) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology

[knip]
> By the way, Old Saxon has _hėngist_ and _hros_ ~ _hors_ for 'horse'.
>
> _Hėngist_ has become _hingst_ in the modern dialects, with the specialized
> meaning 'stallion' (as also German _Hengst_), via Middle Saxon
_hing(i)st_.
> This is supposed to go back to Germanic *_hangista(z)_ from Indo-European
> *_k^ǝk-_ ~ *_k^āik-_ ~ *_k^īk-_ 'to jump', 'to frolic'.

This is in West Frisian "hynder" (= horse) from "*hingst-diar" (diar meaning
animal)
and "hynst" [hi:~st] (nasalised long i) = stallion. The Terschelling/Skylge
dialect
preserves "hos" (< hors), with usual metathesis (as is common in many
Frisian varieties)
The words for horse in North Frisian is "ha"ngst" or "haingst" in Mooring,
"hingst" in Fering and Amring and So"lring, while Halunder has "hings"
(common -t deletion after s in that dialect),
while Saterlandic has "hoangst" or "houngst" (depending on the village).

> I am not aware of _hros_ ~ _hors_ having survived (like archaic or poetic
> German _Ross_).  Is anyone else?  It is supposed to go back to Germanic
> *_hrussa(m)_ and eventually Indo-European *_k^ers-_ 'to run'.

Like I said, I only know "hos" on Terschelling and "ros" in Dutch (not a
very common word anymore, though).

> The ordinary generic word for 'horse' in Modern Lowlands Saxon is _peyrd_
> (<Perd>, <Peerd>, <Pierd>, etc. [pE.I3`t] ~ [pi:3`t], plural _peyrd'_
> <Per(d)>, <Peer(d)>, <Pier(d)>, etc. [pE:I3`(d)] ~ [pi:.3`(d)]).  I cannot
> find an ancestor in Old Saxon.  Can anyone else?

Me neither. Low Saxon dialects in the Netherlands have "peerd" (or a
spelling variation thereof) and so have Hollandic dialects and Dutch-Frisian
mix-dialects like Stedsk/Town-Frisian.

> A curious development in the North Saxon dialects with which I am most
> familiar is that there is no basic word for a female horse, the equivalent
> of "mare," the German cognate of which is _Mähre_, usually denoting an
> inferior horse.   Old Saxon has _marh_ as a rarely used word for 'horse'.
> In Modern LS I say 'mare' (female horse) as _valen-peyrd_ (<Fahlenpeerd>
> ['fQ:lnpE.I3`t]), literally "foal(ing) horse."
West Frisian has "merje", Dutch has "merrie", and these are normal words
(not archaic or something like that).

> Thanks and regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Groetnis