LL-L "Phonology" 2004.06.08 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 8 15:14:00 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Orthography

Dear Lowlanders,

I have been listening to some recordings of famous Britons to see if they
are using the extra -r (as in _idea-r_ ) in their speech.

Winston Churchill in 1941 does not seem to use it; he refers to _Africa_,
and does not seem to pronunce the word _Africa-r_.This is the URL for the
so-called 'Chicken Speech' :
http://archives.cbc.ca/400d.asp?id=1-71-149-778-21

I have listened to a number of other speeches by Churchill, and son't seem
to have come across any examples.

The famous early BBC newsreader Alvar Lidell, giving the news in 1945,
clearly adds an extra -r to the word _area_. THe URL is:
http://www.islandfarm.fsnet.co.uk/BBC%20News%20Recording%20Read%20By%20Alvar%20Lidell.htm

Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, while still a queen in her own right adressing
the women of the Empire in 1939, does not seem to add an extra -r in
_Canada_ and _America_. The speech may be found under the URL:
http://www.soundsofhistory.com/main.html

John Duckworth
Preston, Lancashire

----------

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>

Gabriele, and other Lowlanders,

I just came across a short article on the internet that states that "Some
people blanch at intrusive r,but most RP speakers now use it."

I am not sure that this is correct, and genuinely think that the usage is
waning, but this is the URL of the article:
http://www.yaelf.com/aueFAQ/mifrhtcvsnnrhtcntr.shtml

I will have to listen to the pronunciation of a few RP (Received
Pronunciation) speakers to determine if it really is as common as the writer
of the article maintains!

John Duckworth
Preston, Lancashire