LL-L "Literature" 2004.06.08 (04) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 8 16:37:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Folks,

I received a request in German (below), apparently in response to my
Lowlands Saxon (Low German) translation of "Auld Lang Syne"
(http://www.sassisch.net/auld_lang_syne.htm).  The question is if Robert
Burns' songs had been translated into LS earlier and have been published in
book form.  If so, I would be surprised, especially if it had been in the
18th century, as surmised.  I am aware only of Friedrich Freudenthal (one of
the two Freudenthal Brothers, the Scholars and Bards of the Lunenburg Heath,
http://freudenthal-gesellschaft.de/) having translated one of Burns'
Scottish English love poems in 1873.

I have also translated Burns' monumental ballad "Tam O' Shanter" into LS,
but so far I have shared it only with close friends because it is not yet
published.

Any information would be appreciated and would be forwarded.

***