LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.09 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 9 23:51:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUN.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "False friends" [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: "False friends" [E]
>
> grape (in Scots this means "garden fork").
> greet (in Scots this means "weep").
> fit (in Scots this means "foot").
> gate (in Scots this means "road, way").
> soup (in Scots this means "sweep").
> girdle (in Scots this means "griddle").
> shiver (in Scots this means "cold sore" - Scots for "shiver" would be
> "chitter").
> law (in Scots this means an isolated or dominant conical hill).
> steer (in Scots this means "stir").
> clap (in Scots this means "to pet").
> canny (in Scots this means "calm, easy, laid back" - different from
> Northumbrian).
> braid (in Scots this means "broad").
> lie (in Scots this means "a pool of stagnant water in a field").

I just thought of some more "first class" false friends between English and
Scots (as opposed to "second class" such as "bather" that are written the
same but pronounced differently or "flyte -> flight" that are pronounced the
same but written differently):

chap (in Scots this means "to knock").
knock (in Scots this means "clock").
clock (in Scots this means "beetle").
slider (in Scots this means "ice-cream wafer").
slap (in Scots this means "a gap in a dyke or hedge" - while a "slap" is a
"skelp" in Scots).
rift (in Scots this means "to burp").
flee (in Scots this means "a fly" - while a "flea" is a "flech" [flE:x] in
Scots).

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/