LL-L "Phonology" 2004.06.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jun 10 14:24:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.06.09 [E]

Dear all,

I haven't been following this debate that closely, so
this may have been said already, but to my
Northumbrian and layman's ear, the insertion of the
'r' is primarily, although I guess, not exclusively an
RP/polite/educated speech affectation that has been
educated into people through the education system, the
media and it has to be said through class. I have even
seen this in Northumberland and up north. However, I
have mates all over England in all professions, and
they don't use this 'r'. It is confined mainly to
certain social stratas from my experience.

gan canny,

Glenn Simpson
Northumbrian Language Society

From: sam s claire <gamlhs at juno.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.05.03 (03) [E]

I am not skilled in phonetics, phonology, et al, but I do believe my
ears.  One late night I was aroused by the TV with a fellow speaking with
(I thought) a decided British accent.  As I awoke though, I realized that
he really was speaking in a U.S. southern drawl.   Sam