LL-L "Etymology" 2004.06.10 (10) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jun 10 22:03:22 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUN.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Utz H. Woltmann <uwoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.06.10 (03) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Etymology
>
>Folks,
>
>I wonder about the origin of the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) verb
>_schamfeyren_ (<schamferen> ~ <schamfeern>) 'to bitch' ('to complain
>loudly'); 'to scold', 'to shame'; 'to spoil', 'to vandalize'.  It is
>constructed like a Romance loan (/-eir-/), but I wonder if it is made up to
>seem like one, perhaps a blend of German _schimpfen_ (Missingsch [SImfm],
LS
>_schimpen_) 'to scold' and native _schaam_ 'shame' and _(sik) schamen_ 'to
>be ashamed'.  Does anyone know?
>
>There is also this group:
>schafuder ~ schafuter (neuter) 'reprimand', 'scolding'
>schafudern ~ schafutern 'to reprimand', 'to scold'
>
>What might the origin of this one be?  Could it by any chance be linked
with
>_schafot_ ~ _schafut_ (<Schafott> ~ <Schafutt>) 'scaffold (for public
>execution or humiliation)'?

Moin Ron,

hest dor maal an dacht, dat dat ok vun de franzööschen Wöör
"chahuter" = larmen, spektakeln, stören, rümjachtern un
"chambarder" = dörnannerbringen, tokehr gahn, krakeeln
herkamen mag.

Inne Franzozentied hebbt se bannig veel Wöör  in´t Neddersassische
inbörgert, to´n Bispill Fiesematenten, perdu oder ok Etepetete.

Kumpelmenten
Utz H. Woltmann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Moin, Utz!

[English below]

Aha!!! Treffer! Dat is up'n Prick, wat ik wull.  Wees' bedankt!  Ik was mi
al moden west, dat dat ut't Franzöössche keem.

Ik maak so pö-a-pö (!) Listen vun Lehnwöörd' ut't Ingelsche, Franzöössche,
Hollandsche, Slaawsche un villicht Skandinaawsche.  De wies' ik Jo denn
later.

Bingo! Utz gave me just what I had hoped for: _schamfeyren_ is a French loan
in Lowlands Saxon (Low German), from _chahuter_ 'to create an uproar',
perhaps "cross-fertilized" by _chambarder_ 'to turn upside down'.

Utz reminded me that LS took on a lot of French loans, especially during
Napoleonic occupation in the early 19th century.  I was aware of this and am
currently _pö-a-pö_ (< French _peu-à -peu_ 'bit-by-bit') putting together a
list of French loans in LS, also one each of loans from English, Dutch and
Slavonic, perhaps also from Scandinavian.*

*Scandinavian loans are found in the dialects of regions that used to belong
to Denmark and Sweden.  For example, in some dialects of Pomerania, once
under Swedish power (for nearly 200 years, beginning with 1630), the word
for 'cranberry' (elsewhere _kraansbeer_) are called _linjong_, from Swedish
_lingon_ (> English "lingonberry," _Vaccinium vitis-idaea_, apparently a
type of cranberry, _Vaccinium macrocarpon_).

P.S.: Here is a nice wensite about the Swedish heritage of Pomerania:
http://www.gutshaeuser.de/stiftung.html