LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 11 14:30:53 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.10 (09) [E]

> <>R. F. Hahn wrote:
>
> Anyway, this name has always puzzled me. "Hospital for *Sick* Children?"
> Is there one for healthy children as well? How about "Children's Hospital"
>
>>or "Pediatric Hospital" like elsewhere?  Or is there something I'm
>missing?
>
>>Might "hospital" once have had other meanings as well, such as that of
>>"hostel"?  Perhaps in Scots, transferred to Scottish English?

Hello All,

"Hospital" were originally places where guests were received, like
hospices, hostels and hotels. The word comes via Old French "hospital"
from the medieval Latin "hospitale" which was the noun form of
"hospitalis", an adjective meaning 'of a guest'. The semantic shift
belongs in the 15th. cent. where it began to mean a place for the infirm
and down-and-outs.
'Hospitality/hospitable' in modern English still have the original
meaning of 'receiving guests'.

As for Andy Eagle's remark about sick children, 'gruesome' is not an
appropriate description in my opinion. 'Poignant' or 'tragic' might be
words that spring to mind when thinking of the guests these hospitals
harbour.

Regards,

Tom