LL-L "Etymology" 2004.06.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 11 14:57:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Hi Ron (en andere lui),

When I read your list of false friends between Low Saxon and English,
the word "luun" (LS) ("whim', "mood" in English) triggered my mind
somewhat. Surely it must be a cognate of German "Laune", of which Duden
claims that it has been derived from Middle High German "lūne", denoting
"lunar phase". According to medieval astrology, human moods were
apparently strongly correlated with the moon ("luna" in Latin). There's
also Dutch "luim" for the same kind of emotion.

In Brabantish we have the words "striel(e)n" and "loet(e)n" (always in
plural) for any quirky behavior: "Ze kraëgt wal eul loetn", "A ei wal
zön strieln". A "loete" is also a sort of shovel with which bread can be
shoved into an oven, maybe there's a connection with this tool, but I
can't imagine how the meaning must have shifted. Frisian and Middle Low
German knew the word "lote" too, but for a "rake". Maybe "lo(e)te" is
some kind of nominalization of the verb "laden" (D) (G), "to load" (E)?
This would explain "loeten" (B) as a burden that was loaded on a
person's mind.

At the same time this Saxon word "luun" is a false friend of Brabantish
"loejnig", said of anything that grows profusely. The latter stems from
Middle Dutch "ludich", which in turn is related to Gothic "liudan" (to
grow) and "Leute" (G)...and ultimately "lieden, lui" (D).

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx