LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.14 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 14 14:47:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.12 (01) [D/E/LS/German]

Hi,
In our family "schlagen" is very commonly used in this sense.
"Er schlägt nach seinem Vater" COULD mean "he is hitting out at his father",
but more frequently it would be used in the sense, mostly negative, critical
"He displays the (bad) attitudes, (bad) manners of his father", but it can
also refer to phyical features, both positive and negative (and neutral).
Whether this comes from the LS substrate, I don´t know.
Mike Wintzer