LL-L "Etymology" 2004.06.14 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 14 14:59:52 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.06.13 (03) [E]

To: Ron and John
Re: Being crook.

> .  In American English you talk, for instance, about "crooked cops,"
namely
> about corrupt police officers, or about something "crooked" someone (a
> "crook") has been up to, namely something illegal or otherwise contrary to
> regulations or expectations.
>
> I have a hunch that this "crook(ed)" started off in the sense of "bent."
> (Remember the noun "crook" for the bent shepherd's staff, later the
bishop's
> staff.)  So, something "bent" or "crook(ed)" is not "straight," is thus
not
> right or normal according to this line of cultural imagery.

Whilst agreeing with most of what Ron has to say about "crook", I think that
Australians too mostly use crooked when speaking of bent cops. A crook cop
is a
sick policeman, a crooked cop is a corrupt policeman. As a current resident
in
Melbourne, I read daily reports in the media about the latter. A quick
Google
search for crook cops gives 4 results, for crooked cops 796. Perhaps
dishonest
policemen rarely get ill.

Apparently there are a number of possible sources for crook(ed): the Old
Norse
"krokr" hook, corner, the Norman "crique", meaning creek, the French "croc"
for
Shepherd's crook  and the O.H.G. "krapmhe" cramp, spasm, related to "kramph"
bent, crooked" amongst others. They all seem to relate to bent or unwell.

But I have no idea why "going crook at" means getting angry with in
Australian
English.

Best wishes
Andrys Onsman