LL-L "Morphology" 2004.06.23 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 23 15:02:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUN.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.06.22 (06) [E]

Ron wrote:

> Sure, and there are cases like interpreting Greek-derived "kudos" and
> "gyros" as plural forms and deriving from them supposedly singular "kudo"
> and "gyro" respectively.
>
> However, this subject of more "exotic" specialized loan morphology (which
at
> least originally was outside the sphere of ordinary speakers, still is in
> many spheres of society) is somewhat marginal to this topic.  What I meant
> us to deal with is seemingly or actually irregular morphology of *native*
> words.

Fine, be that way - although it seems that most modern English words were
"exotic" at some point.

Still, I've got a "native" "kudo/gyro" example for you: the word "pease",
from which the supposedly singular form "pea" was derived a long time ago.
And then they eventually gave it a new plural form: "peas".

Gabriele Kahn