LL-L "Morphology" 2004.06.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 25 14:38:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Frédéric Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.06.22 (02) [E]

Kenneth wrote :

>Just a bit of random info that might prove helpful
>
>Kenneth
>
>> Dutch:
>> schoen [sxuːn] 'shoe'
>> schoenen [sxuːnə(n)] 'shoes'
>>
>> It appears that the old plural form (with /+ən/ was turned into a
singular
>> form, and, etymologically speaking, the new plural form contains another
>> plural-marking suffix (/+ə(n)).
>
>This is also what all dutch etymology dictionaries tell
>
>> Similarly, Afrikaans:
>> skoen [skuːn] 'shoe'
>> skoene [skuːnə] 'shoes'
>>
>> Theoretically (*), this ought to have been as follows:
>> Dutch:
>>    *schoe [sxuː] 'shoe'
>>    *schoeën [sxuːə(n)] or schoen [sxuːn] 'shoes'
>> Afrikaans:
>>    *skoe [skuː] 'shoe'
>>    *skoeë [skuːə] 'shoes' (or perhaps *skoes [skuːs])
>
>skoen is a loan from Hollandic Dutch. You cannot compare the plural
>ending in Afrikaans to Dutch (just like you cannot compare the adjective
>system with Dutch either) as Afrikaans probably has developed as a Cape
>dialect mixed with two Dutch based Pidgins spoken by the Hottentot. The
>-s after -er etc is kept, but -e is used for plural for almost
>everything else. Non-mother tongue speakers will guess that -e was the
>plural ending of skoen.

Hi,

Comparisons can be interesting sometimes : indeed, unlike dutch, west
flemish (at least in France) has conserved "schoe" for "shoe" and "schoen"
for "shoes". However, french west flemish has numerous irregularities in
plural formation of nouns and I'm not sure they have always good
explanations. i.e., plural of "katte" is "kats" that J.L. Marteel explains
by an intermediary form in "kattens" with dissapearance of "en". But the
alternance of plural forms of noun in "-s" and in "-en" is characteristic.
Best regards

Frédéric Baert