LL-L "Syntax" 2004.03.08 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 9 04:41:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: Syntax

Dear Low Saxon speakers,

I am currently trying to write a paper on the possessive construction in Low
Saxon. I would really appreciate if all Low Saxon speakers out there (no
matter what dialect) could take some time to translate the following phrases
for me. You can either send them to me jstrunk at stanford.edu
directly and I will post a summary later or directly to the list.

Leive Lüe,

ek wöör ju groten dank weten wan ji een paor saken för mi översetten kunnen.
Egaol wat för'n dialekt van't neddersassische ji ouk snackt... op de
nedderlandsche
of düütsche sied van de grens of ouk plautdietsch.... Ji könt er direkt nao
mien adres hen
stüern: jstrunk at stanford.edu of nao de list. Velen Dank!

Here come the sentences:
1. My brother's horse is green.
2. I see her brother's horse.
3. His brother's horses are black.
4. I see their brother's horses.
5. This is his brother. This is his.
6. This is the man whose house we have seen.
7. These are their houses. These are theirs.
8. This is their country. This is theirs.
9. Do you know whose horse this is?
10. Whose horse this is is very important.
11. These men's horses are black.
12. The woman who I saw yesterday's horse is dead.
13. This is my dog's house. This one's is over there.

Some of the sentences may sound a little odd. But I don't want to win a
poetic contest. I need them as data for a linguistics paper.
So, thank you very much again.

Jan Strunk
jstrunk at stanford.edu
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

----------

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>

Hi,

this is a follow-up to my last email. For those Low Saxon speakers among you
who consider answering my query in the last email, please only read on after
you have answered it. Because otherwise the questions in this mail might
influence you and the data I get. Damn linguists, always have to make
everything so complicated!
If you take the time to answer, I would be very grateful. And you can get
famous by appearing in my thank you note ;-) Please write to:
jstrunk at stanford.edu

Leive Lüe,

dat is de twede fraog över possessivkonstruktschionen in't neddersassische.
Wenn ji noch nich op miene eerste mail antert hebt un dat villicht noch daon
wult,
denn antert bitte eerst un lest denn düsse mail wieder... De fraogen in
düsse mail hier
kunnen ju villicht unseker maken... De verdorrigten spraokwetenschaplers
mott alls ümmer sou
komplezeert maken!
Dat wöör bannig nett van ju wenn ji mi antern dään. Schrieft eenfach an:
jstrunk at stanford.edu.

Please don't let yourselves be disturbed by my orthography. So I am asking
about "ehr" (eng. her) and in your dialect it is "iähr" or "har" please just
substitute your own variant!

Stört ju nich an mien schriefwies! Sett ju eegne utspraok in, tem bispill
"har" anstatt van "ehr", un so wieder...

Un hier sünd de fraogen:

Please translate:
1. This is Peter's book. Peter's is bigger than Anna's.

2. This is Peter and Anna's book. Peter and Anna's is bigger than this
girl's.

3. Where is Peter's son? I only see Hinnerk's.

Please try to answer the following questions:
1. Can you say things like: "den sien book" (meaning "the book of this
person").

2. If you can say: "de ehr book", does this mean "the book of this woman" or
"the book of these people" or both?

3. Can you say: "he sien book" meaning "his book"? or maybe "em sien book"?

4. Can you say "se ehr book"? What does it mean? (Is it only the polite
form, i.e. German "Sie"?)

5. Can you say things like "mien sien book"? If so, only for joking or in
serious conversation?

6. Can you say "Peter sien un Hinnerk sien Hus sünd schön"? If so, how many
houses are there?

7. Can you say "Peter sien Hus un Hinnerk sien is schön?"

8. If you use "jümehr" for eng. "their" in your dialect, can you say: "de
Lüüd jümehr hüüs sünd schöön."?

Velen Dank!
Beste gröten ut'n sonnigen Kalifornien!

Jan Strunk