LL-L "Etymology" 2004.03.09 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 9 22:07:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Addresses: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org,
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Beste Mathieu, Erland en anderen,

I might be able to help you a little regarding the Danish word
"kovirke". I have researched all my Dutch dictionaries and didn't find
the word "koewerk" in any of them, but I did find the word "koebrug"
(D), which has basically two meanings. First of all, it designated a
"gangway, a plank that is used to board a cow on a wagon or a ship",
secondly it's a naval term for "orlop deck". Now this second meaning has
nothing to do with cows whatsoever, because it is actually a corrupt
form of older Dutch "cooy brugghe", litterally "cage bridge". This
confusion comes as no surprise as you might know that "koe" is
pronounced like "koei" in many (older) Dutch dialects.

You will now probably wonder what the relation is between a "koebrug"
and the Danish "kovirke". I cannot say for sure, but I had a close look
at the profile of the "kovirke" and they actually seem to consist of
three parts, a moat, a palisade and a dais. It is the latter, the raised
platform that I tend to associate with a "koebrug', as it served to make
the Danish warriors rise above their enemies. It has the shape and
function of a "koebrug" (D).

By the way, we did have similar constructions in the Middle Ages that we
called a "bolwerk" in Dutch because they were made of what we call
"bolen aat" in Brabantish, "beams" in English. When they were no longer
used for their original military purpose, all over the world they became
known as "boulevard" (via French).

Hope to have been of some help...

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx