LL-L "Syntax" 2004.03.10 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 10 15:23:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Addresses: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org,
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Steven Hanson <hanayatori at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Syntax

I wouldn't worry about this.  Linguists these days seem to tend towards
descriptivism rather than prescriptivism.  They're more interested in
studying the way people really do say things, rather than dictating how they
think people should say them.

Hello Jan,

Since this is for a linguistics paper it may be worth considering
whether the above sentence shouldn't read: "The woman WHOM I saw...", or
not.

Regards,

Tom
--
Carpe Diem.
-Visit Nlp in Education  http://www.xtec.es/~jmaguire
-Join Nlp-Education  mailto:nlp-education-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
-Join Seal-Spain  mailto:seal-spain-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

----------

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.03.09 (04) [E]

Leive Lüe,

ek frei mi dat all sovüel van Ink mi een översetten schickt hiett.
Dat sall aover nich heten dat ek nich nog miär bruken kunn.
So, keep the good things coming...!

I'll wait probably until the weekend and then post a summary here.
Maybe, I'll even have my paper finished by then. By the way,
it's also good to get translations from other Lowlands languages to
get a comparison.

Tom wrote:
> Since this is for a linguistics paper it may be worth considering
> whether the above sentence shouldn't read: "The woman WHOM I saw...", or
> not.
Ok, I might change that, although I (the German guy) seem to be pretty much
the
only one around here (i.e. California) who uses WHOM in such contexts at all
(at least in the spoken language).

Thanks for all your work!

Jan Strunk
jstrunk at stanford.edu