LL-L "Etymology" 2004.03.10 (03) [E/Danish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 10 15:47:43 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org, lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.03.09 (01) [E/Danish]

Moin, Mathieu, moin Erlend,

Jeg tror ikke at Kovirke har forbindelser med Laag
Saksisk eller Frisisk, orden "virke" er Skandinavsk
men ogsaa Laag Saksisk, i Rendsborg Amt er udsprog
"wirken". Ex: "Waa wirks du?" "Hvor virker du?". Denne
hele Dannevirke var bygd af Dansker som forsvar mod
Frankiske Riget langt foerre Frisiske, Hollaendske
eller Hanseatiske koebmaende komte til Jylland. Jeg
kan mer taenke at maaske Oksevejen som krysser
Dannevirken speler en rol med navn "Kovirke".
Forklaring af Luc Hendrickx om "Kobrygge" kan vaere
rigti, navn "Bryggen" kan komer til skandinavske
sproger fraa Nederlandsk/Laag Saksisk, jeg taenker
ogsaa om "Bryggen" i Bergen, Norge, som hadde altid
stor forbindelser med Hansen.

I don't think that Kovirke has any connections to Low
Saxon or Frisian, the word "virke" exists both in the
Scandinavian languages as it does in Low Saxon and
Dutch, the pronunciation in the Rendsborg District is
"wirken" as, for example "Waa wirks du?" "where do you
work?". The Dannevirke was build by the Danes as a
defence wall against the Frankish Empire long before
Frisian, Dutch or Hanseatic traders came to Jutland. I
could rather see a connection between the Ox-Road
(Okse-vejen) and the Dannevirke because the Okse-vejen
crosses the Dannevirke at one point. Luc Hendricks'
explaination about the word Kobrygge sounds
reasonable,  the word "brygge" seems to have Frisian,
Dutch or Low saxon connections, I also think about the
name "Bryggen" in Bergen, Norway. Bergen had always
strong links to the Netherlands and the Hanse which
might explain the name.

Regards

Helge

----------

From: Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Etymology

> You will now probably wonder what the relation is between a "koebrug"
> and the Danish "kovirke". I cannot say for sure, but I had a close look
> at the profile of the "kovirke" and they actually seem to consist of
> three parts, a moat, a palisade and a dais. It is the latter, the
> raised
> platform that I tend to associate with a "koebrug', as it served to
> make
> the Danish warriors rise above their enemies. It has the shape and
> function of a "koebrug" (D).

I'd like to thank Michel Coumanne, Roger Thijs and Luc Hellinckx for their
kind
help regarding my question about 'kovirke'. I have passed it on to Erland,
and
it is very useful for him.

I assume the Dutch word 'koebrug' can be found in Danmark under the
name 'kobrygge'?

regards,
Mathieu

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Using "bridge" (LS _brüg(ge)_, German _Brücke_) in the sense of "landing
stage," "(landing) pier" or "jetty" was very common in coastal Germany, and
this is frozen in names, such as the _Landungsbrücken_ in Hamburg.  I've
always assumed that this was derived from old-time temporary loading bridges
consisting of planks between quay and vessel.

I have never heard about a *_koubrüg(ge)_ ("cow bridge"), but I would not be
surprised if such a word used to exist.

Groeten,