LL-L "Syntax" 2004.03.10 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 10 21:09:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.03.10 (01) [E/LS]

> From: Steven Hanson <hanayatori at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Syntax
>
> I wouldn't worry about this.  Linguists these days seem to tend towards
> descriptivism rather than prescriptivism.  They're more interested in
> studying the way people really do say things, rather than dictating how
they
> think people should say them.

Hello All,

I agree that descriptive grammar is more scientifically linguistic and I
abhor the Language Academy approach prevalent in Spain and France.
However descriptivism may also dictate unless it is well documented in
"the way people really do and say things".

The University of Birmingham has an ongoing database of current language
use in written and broadcast English, constantly updated through
computer scanning of mass media language usage. But I wonder if even
this really corresponds to "the way people... etc..."

Regards,

Tom
---
-Visit Nlp in Education  http://www.xtec.es/~jmaguire