LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.16 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 16 18:23:38 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.MAR.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi Ron and All

Thanks for your feedback evedryone who's answered.

Ron you wrote:
"Please note that in Modern North Saxon dialects,
aspiration applies
only to
the beginning of a stressed syllable (i.e., syllable
with primary
stress, in
compounds also to those with secondary stress).  This
is similar to
mainstream American and Australian English.  In
contrast, it applies in
*any* syllable in English dialects of Southern England
and in Standard
German.  The North Saxon aspiration rule applies in
Missingsch (German
dialects on Lowlands Saxon substrates) and in
distinctly Northern
German
dialects as well, is one of those features that make
German dialects
sound
"northern," though few people are intellectually aware
of this detail."

On the (very) few occassions that I've been mistaken
for a native German speaker  - admittededly this
usually only happens after I've just said a few words
or the other person's drunk or due to some other
debilitating factor - people here in Berlin have
sometimes mistaken me for a South German or Austrian.
This has always perplexed me, and I've always put it
down to the way I often pronounce initial s - as [s]
and not [z] - which is also more Southern. Maybe it
has something to do with my plosives in unstressed
syllables.

I'm also often however mistaken for Dutch - I usually
put this down to vowel quality rather than anything
else - and also probably that people can't believe
that there's a Brit that speaks another language ;)

Cheers

Gary