LL-L "Etymology" 2004.03.18 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 19 17:52:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymologyl" 2004.03.18 (03) [E]

The whole discussion about the "siddel van de topmast" sooo reminds me of
the first book I ever read in Dutch: "De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe"
(Bontekoe's Cabin Boys) by Willem Ysbrantsz. One of my favourite parts is
where the boy who accidentally stayed on the ship when it set sail because
he had fallen asleep, but would much rather be a brewer's apprentice, gets
violently seasick and the old hands on deck tell him that he has to find
"het zeeziekvrije plekkie", i.e. the one seasick-free spot that they say
exists on a ship.

Then somebody explains to him that all the horrible bouncing up and down and
swaying to and fro obviously comes from the waves - so the spot he's looking
for must be as far as possible from those nasty waves - and that would be
the crow's nest at the very top of the mast! Let it suffice to say that the
boy is very gullible and the result isn't pretty. :-)

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>

Oops, sorry, forgot my name:
[Gabriele Kahn]