LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 22 17:58:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.MAR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Allison Turner-Hansen <hallison at gte.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.20 (02) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,
    In respect of one part of Frederic's question below, the voiced quality
of the medial consonant of the word for seven, I would like to say that I
think we're dealing here with Verner's law.  Verner's law explains the
exceptions to Grimm's Law.  According to Verner, the Indo-European sounds
p,t, k, kw  yield voiced outcomes in Gmc. (instead of the voiceless spirants
expected under Grimm's Law) when non-initial, and when the Indo-European
accent did not fall on the immediately preceding syllabic sound.  In this
word the accent is reconstructed for the second syllable.  In Proto-Germanic
there was the voiced spirant, then, which hardened up to a stop in some
dialects.  I think the change from fricative to stop started in the south
and moved in waves to the north, leaving lowlands languages less affected.
There are other wierd things about the word seven in Gmc, though, like the
lack of t: Latin had septem, Skt. sapta, Gk hepta.

I hope you're all doing well!
Allison Turner-Hansen