LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.03.25 (023) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 25 16:09:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.MAR.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Language varieties

Georg Deutsch wrote:

> even more remarkable, the tendency not to accept "Flemish" as the Dutch
> in Belgium, but to inssist that Flemish is a (close, but) distinct
> language. (I see also in this context the habit to sub-title in
> Dutch TV "Flemish" movies.)
>
> I wonder, if I am the only one who sees this that way.

The subtitling of a Flemish television show is indeed one of the mysteries
in
Dutch television :-)
If certain Flemish dialects or heavy accented parts were subtitled it would
be
understandable, but no: it is clear Dutch with just a little bit of Flemish
accent in it...!!!

Anyway, I have hardly ever come across any Dutchman stating that Flemish is
distinct language. Mostly you hear stuff like: "Belgium is very nice, and
also
very easy because you can speak Dutch, even in Brussels!"

In the other side, I doubt that the average Dutchman knows of the existance
of
a Low Saxon language group, let alone the fact that this language crosses
the
German border all the way to Danmark and Poland!

regards,
Mathieu

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Georg and Mathieu.

I suppose that what you related to us confirms that in Europe four things
are still widespread in this regard: (1) ignorance regarding diversity, (2)
discomfort at the thought that nation, ethnicity, culture and language
rarely coincide (in detail), (3) that diversity is not a burden but an
asset, (4) and that cross-border sharing of heritage (minority or otherwise)
does not need to threaten national integrity but can be utilized for
everyone's benefit (as long as this is done without chauvinism and
territorial designs).

In my opinion, this can only be changed by means of educational efforts, not
just on regional and national levels but on an international level.
Although only on a modest scale, this is what Lowlands-L is really about.
At the very least, it brings folks together and allows them to discover what
they have in common.  Perhaps it is a good sign that some people feel uneasy
about our goals and activities.  Might it be a sign that we are doing
something right, are even getting somewhere?