LL-L "Etymology" 2004.05.01 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 2 00:44:44 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAY.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.05.01 (03) [E]

>From: sam s claire <gamlhs at juno.com>
>Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.05.01 (01) [E]
>
>Sandy:  As I understand, --scot-free-- has nothing to do with the Scots
>but does derive from the Old French 'escot,' a payment.  Hence, getting
>off scot-free means that one has contributed his part of a common debt
>and is free of the obligation.
>
>Sid

from  www.etymonline.com

Scot - O.E. Scottas (pl.) "inhabitants of Ireland, Irishmen," from L.L.
Scotti, of uncertain origin, perhaps from Celtic. The name followed the
Irish tribe which invaded Scotland after the Romans withdrew from Britain in
423 C.E., and after the time of Alfred the Great the O.E. word described
Irish who had settled in the northwest of Britain.

    "Scot, with its variants Scotch, Scottish, etc., may have been an Irish
term of scorn (Scuit, pronounced shite); its ulterior origin is unknown."
[Shipley]

Scotch (adj.) - "of Scotland," 1591, contraction of Scottish. As a noun,
elliptical for Scotch whisky, it is attested from 1823. Scotch-Irish is from
1876; more properly Scots-Irish, from Scots (M.E.), the older adj., from
Scottis, the northern variant of Scottish.

scotch (v.) - "stamp out, crush" (1825), earlier "make harmless for a time"
(1798), from scocchen "to cut, score, gash" (c.1412), perhaps from Anglo-Fr.
escocher, O.Fr. cocher "to notch, nick," from coche "a notch, groove,"
probably from L. coccum "berry of the scarlet oak," which appears notched,
from Gk. kokkos.

scot-free - O.E. scotfreo "exempt from royal tax," from scot "royal tax,"
from O.N. skot "contribution, shot" + freo (see free). Related to O.E.
sceotan "to pay, contribute" (see shot).

Perhaps the French term also has a Germanic origin

David Barrow