LL-L "Syntax" 2004.05.03 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 3 16:44:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Eldo Neufeld <greneuf at shaw.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.05.02 (04) [E/LS]

Hello, Jan,

I have been enjoying your questions on Lowlands-L and am happy to give
you my e-mail address:   greneuf at shaw.ca   I do not claim to be an
authority, but I will give you a bit of background, so you can use your
own judgment about contacting me, if you choose to do so.  I grew up in
central Kansas with my mother tongue of Plautdietsch.  Between my 20th
and 70th birthdays I did not use the dialect at all, but then in
retirement I began working in it, and in the last 7 years have
completed 5 projects, all of which have been published by Lincom Europa
in Munich.  I am currently working on a new project which should be
completed within the next year, judging by current progress.  I do not
know Low Saxon, although I can read it because of knowledge of
Plautdietsch and Standard High German.

I'm interested in your questions about ways of expressing possession in
sentences, because this is a real problem in Plautdietsch.  The problem
is that there is no clear "right" or "wrong" way, and answers you get
from different people would vary considerably, all based on the various
ways we learned to speak as children.  I would hope that through an
exchange with you I might acquire some insights that would help me.

Aulet baste,

Eldo

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Syntax

Eldo (above):

> I do not know Low Saxon, ...

Lewe Eldo,

Mennisch Plautdietsch is uck Nadasassisch (Nadadietsch), een von de
Dialekjte (oda Dialekjtgruppe) von de selje Sproak.  Wie kjenne uck sajje,
daut aule Dialekjte "Plautdietsch" heete.  ("Plautdietsch" is mau blooss de
mennische Utsproak von "Plattdüütsch".)  Wann Du "Low Saxon" saijst, dann
meenst Du woll de aundere Dialekjte, de "nich-mennische" Dialekjte, oda
Dialekjtgruppe: Nuadsassisch, Oostfälisch, Wastfälisch,
Mecklenborjisch-Värpommasch, Brandenborjisch, Hinjapommasch, Wastpreussisch,
Oostpreussisch/Nadapreussisch.  Mennisch Nadasassisch (oda mennisch
Plautdietsch) es een von de wastpreussische Dialekjte (oda Dialekjtgruppe),
d.h. "mennisch Wastpreussisch".

Dear Eldo,

Mennonite "Plautdietsch" is Low(lands) Saxon too, one of the dialects (or
dialect groups) of the same language.  We might as well say that all
dialects are called "Plautdietsch."  (_Plautdietsch_ is merely the Mennonite
pronunciation of _Plattdüütsch_.)  When you say "Low Saxon" you assumedly
mean the other dialects, the "non-Mennonite" dialects, or dialect groups:
North Saxon, Eastphalian, Westphalian, Mecklenburgish-West Pomoranian,
Brandenburgish, East Pomoranian, West Prussian, East Prussian/Low Prussian.
Mennonite Lowlands Saxon (or Mennonite Low German) is one of the West
Prussian dialects (or dialect groups), i.e., "Mennonite West Prussian."

Kumpelmenten,