LL-L "Language survival" 2004.05.03 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 3 22:03:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: ezinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2004.05.03 (04) [E]

Hi all,

Mark, your list to console Mike Wintzer should not include Fanagalo.

I'm working in the heart of the SA mining industry and most black mine
workers regard Fanagalo with great suspicion as a tongue devised by
white bosses to keep them uneducated and half-skilled. The bigger SA
mining houses have started 20 years ago with basic adult language education
to provide mine workers with language skills to adapt to a world outside the
mine.

Regards
Elsie Zinsser
This to console you; a short list of languages made by man, & not broken
by governments (though they tried).
Modern Hebrew
Afrikaans
Fanagolo
Yiddish (in Israel)
& now a list of languages preserved by the community in spite of the
hostility of the machinery of government.
Erse
Scots (Inglis)
Welsh
Coptic