LL-L "Names" 2004.05.03 (12) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 3 22:07:44 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.05.01 (01) [E]

Sandy Fleming wrote:
<snip>

 > Here's some interesting translations:
>
> English - Scots
> ======= =====
> Scotch - Scots (sometimes "Scotch")
> Scottish - Scottis (but now usually "Scottish")

 <snip>

 I was always under the impression that the adjective or noun Scotch is an
Early Modern English contraction of the word Scottish that was later adopted
into Scots.

Is Scots not simply the modern form of Older Scots Scottis as Inglis was the
Older Scots for English, now usually only found in Surnames as Ingles or
Inglis [INlz] etc. and place names as Ingleston or Ingliston [INlzt at n] etc.

Scottish and English are simply English imports.

 Andy Eagle