LL-L "Phonology" 2004.05.08 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat May 8 17:10:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAY.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.05.06 (04) [E]

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.05.06 (02) [E]
>
> Luc, Ron:
>
> Nottingham English does not use [h]. So much so, in fact, that NE
> speakers
> really have to stop and think to articulate it, even though we absorb
> the
> sound through school, television and the rest of the wider linguistic
> world.
>
> Interestingly, however, some sub-variants insert [h] where there
> should be
> none - usually between vowels - while retaining deleted [h] in ordinary
> position, so that 'an egg' becomes 'a hegg' while 'a hat' remains 'an
> at',
> 'an igloo' becomes 'a higloo', and so on. This is primarily associated
> with
> children's speech, however.
>
> Go raibh maith agat
>
> Críostóir.

Hi Críostóir,

The same problem appears with some West-Flemish people who try to speak
Dutch.
So sometimes one can hear 'hik' instead of 'ik'. And this is an issue
that dates already from the Middelages, because there are  written
examples of it.
Groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene