LL-L "Names" 2004.05.08 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat May 8 22:39:47 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAY.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.05.08 (01) [E]

In message <007d01c43518$c1cf6be0$2db88e8c at dental.washington.edu>,
>Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
writes
>Me again
>
>If I was to be referred to as 'sassanach' then I don't
>think I would feel very insulted, even if it was meant
>to insult to me - probably much the same as if I'm
>called a 'rosbif' by someone from France, 'limey' from
>an American or even 'Inselaffe' from a German. I tend
>to consider them amusing terms -I think here there is
>a distinct difference to 'nigger' which is usually
>considered insulting also to those referred to.

I am just reading an interesting book, 'Race and the Archaeology of
Identity' (ed. CE Orser).  One of the contributors makes the point that
'white' and 'black' are not equivalent terms: there is a historical and
continuing power imbalance.  A white English person yelling 'nigger!' is
far more of a threat, far more potentially abusive and therefore far
more actively abusive than a black Scottish person yelling 'sassenach!'.

The names associated with those groups with less power are not worse, or
more abusive because 'those people' are 'bad', and therefore no-one
would want to be part of that group, and the other names are not less
abusive because 'no-one would mind' being called
English/white/powerful/good.  There are many instances where groups have
re-appropriated the language used hatefully against them, and use the
term with pride, pointing out, as they call themselves 'queers',
'crips', or whatever that 'different' does not mean 'wrong'.

With best wishes to all,

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)