LL-L "Language proficiency" 2004.05.20 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 20 21:27:51 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language proficiency" 2004.05.20 (06) [E]

> "Are four kinds of humen :
>
> 1. Man who don't know, also don't know that he don't know, he is stupid
man.
> Go away from him.
>
> 2. Man who don't know, and know he don't know, he is a honest man. Learn
him
> !
>
> 3. Man who know, and he don't know that he know, that man is sleeping. Get
> up him.
>
> 4. Man who know, also he know that he know, he is sagacious. Follow him."

I love it! I think I am going to embroider this one in cross stitch!! :-)

I've had a printout of my favourite mistranslation hanging over my desk for
years, as a constant inspiration for my work:

"When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him
melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage, then tootle
him with vigour."
>>From a Tokyo car rental brochure

Please forgive me if I have shared this one before; I can't remember. I just
like it so much. "Tootle him with vigour" has become a classic in my family
(for instance, as a reminder to my youngest daughter to go practise on her
clarinet).

Anyway, in such cases, I never felt that I was laughing at the person who
did the translation for being "stupid" or in any way inferior; anyone who
speaks languages other than his "own" is bound to make mistakes and deserves
praise, not scorn. I simply enjoy the absurdity and sometimes the sheer,
unexpected poetry of such sentences ("He is stupid man. Go away from him." -
what a ring that has to a woman who is twice divorced!). And sometimes it's
just plain "cute"! I remember my six-year-old daughter's helpful suggestion
to a playmate who had a flat tyre (she had been speaking English for six
months then): "Just take your bike and shove it!" She meant push, of course.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: Administrativa

Ron,

I intend to test the altered state of your mind by posting another
German/Dutch false friend which I have hesitated posting until now
since it would probably not pass the normally high decency standards
of this list :-).

In the meantime, Dutch readers may be amused by the following Web
site extolling the beauty of my home state.  For the German version,
which is equally funny, replace du by ge in the URL.

<http://www.visitusa.com/du/newmexico/>

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Gustaaf

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language proficiency

Gustaaf,

Thanks for the wishes and the mind-altering piece of "translation." (No
expenses spared, huh?)

This reminds me of "State of Excitement," the somewhat corny byname of
Western Australia, which in the German version of a promotional brochure I
saw (in the days before online translators) translated as _Staat der
Aufregung_ ...
(N.B.: _Aufregung_ means 'excitement', but only in the sense of 'agitation',
'commotion', 'kerfuffle', 'discomposure', 'disconcertment', 'alarm',
'anxiety', 'distress'.)